Worrying about financial situations, career choices, relationships, health and family situations can easily cross the line from being a productive source of inspiration to a destructive force that can feel overwhelming and debilitating. Stress creates anxiety for all members of the modern family, although some members may show their anxiety in more visible ways.
- Do you or any family members have difficulty falling asleep or getting back to sleep?
- Does anyone describe that they feel jittery as though they want to jump out of their skin?
- Have you or any family members experienced heart palpitations, sweatiness or sudden dizziness?
- Does anyone in your family need to check that the front door is locked multiple times before they are able to relax?
These are all symptoms of anxiety, one of the most common mental health problems we see. Fortunately, anxiety is highly treatable.
We use techniques that have been shown to be most effective in anxiety management. We help you identify and change patterns of thinking that lead to anxious thoughts, feelings and behaviors so you can change. We also help you consider and understand how your family history may have contributed to your anxiety, as it is important to look at causes rather than just the symptoms. Stress reduction techniques such as meditation, visualization, progressive relaxation and controlled breathing are also key components of a treatment plan.
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder or Panic Attacks are more serious forms of anxiety that can be treated, but may also require a medical evaluation for anti-anxiety medication and more intensive psychotherapy.
If any of this sounds familiar to you, know that we have deep expertise addressing these issues. We help clients engage in the treatment process to modify their attitudes and behaviors, and increase healthy habits and skills. You can beat your anxiety and create a life without constant worry.
Questions for Thought
Below are a few questions that are intended to help you consider your personal situation more closely. If you are ready to improve and live your life to the fullest, we encourage you to contact us to discuss how we can best help.
Do you or someone in your family:
- feel that things around you are strange, unreal, foggy, or detached?
- feel any sense of numbness or tingling your partner body?
- have a fear that something terrible is going to happen?
- have periods of increased sensitivity to light and sound?
- feel exhausted most of the time?
- feel out of control?
- avoid certain situations because of fear?
- avoid depending on others?
- experience nausea or other stomach problems often?